1955 The North Cairns Australian Football Club was founded
1957 A project to clear land for playing fields and clubhouse was initiated
1959 The Lands Department granted swampy, undulating area of some 15 acres to the Club on 8 July. Although buoyed by the news of the grant, the reality of the cost of construction invited some trepidation from the committee and club. Members because of lack of funds or equipment, had no alternative but to roll up their collective sleeves and throw themselves into the project. In true pioneer tradition, the men and the boys felled and cleared the bushland while the women made endless pots of tea from water boiled over a camp fire. Anyone who passed by was presented with a picture of workers who were sweaty and covered in dirt as they dragged logs, burnt brush and marked boundaries.
When the job seemed to be too hard for even the enthusiastic and determined workers, Pop Watson donated a massive 500 pounds for earthmoving equipment. The gesture was acknowledged when the ground was officially named Watson Sportsground. The Koppen Family stretched the kitty by allowing their companyâs hire equipment to be used by the club members on weekends. Once the area was levelled, entire families became involved in cleaning and grassing the field ready for the first game.
1965 The playing fields were opened on 25 September by the Cairns Mayor Darcy Chataway
1970s A clubhouse was built in the early seventies
Today: The clubhouse has been extended and renovated. Our club has a large player membership of around 280 players from senior grade through to Juniors in football and netball. During the season the club hosts senior games, junior home games and women’s football competition and other carnivals.
North Cairns Australian Football & Sporting Club is and has remained a family club through the years and has been consistent in its success at all levels.